Fruits are mostly known to be healthy. But can they fit into a low carb diet? This is a confusion that arises because, fruits though rich in many vitamins and minerals, still contain carbs and sugars. Many diets like Keto diets restrict the amount of carbs you can consume and thus restrict the fruits you can consume as well. But in order to have a properly balanced diet and retain good health, the vitamins and minerals present in fruits are a necessity.
The first step to decide is by finding out the net carb content of fruits that you would like to include in your diet. This is easily available on the internet. You can calculate the weight of one portion of fruit and calculate the amount of carbs you will be consuming with it.Now the next step is to wisely plan a carb budget. Identify what kind of vitamins and minerals your diet is lacking and add fruits that can supplement this. Taking into account the carbs the fruit provides, cut down on other forms of carbs like grain or bread. Ensure that the carbs you do consume are healthy.
Another important thing to keep in mind is that diets cannot be the same for everyone. It should take into account your goals, your health situation, and your physical exertion levels. Therefore consult a physician or a nutritionist to gain a better understanding of your body’s needs.
Some Useful Tips:
Here are some ways in which you can fit in fruits in your diet:
1. Don’t complete your entire carb budget by eating 2 pieces of fruit. Try eating more low-carb vegetables instead.
2. Distribute your fruit intake by consuming just a few small pieces per meal.
3. Ensure you are taking adequate carbs depending on your physical exercises. By exerting more, you can add a couple more pieces of fruit to your budget.
4. Fruits provide a lot of fiber and chewing resistance, so they make up for the fructose they naturally contain. Fruit juice, however, is not so. So prefer solid fruits instead of juices.
5. Keep in mind your goal for the diet. Some people who have specific health conditions must consult a doctor before adding fruits to their diet.
6. Find fruits that are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals as they are tasty as well as beneficial.
Now that we have learned how to include fruits on a low carb diet, let us look at what fruits to eat. Not all fruits are filled with sugar and carbs. There are some fruits with enormous health benefits while at the same time providing fewer carbs. The fruits that you may want to consider are:
You can find the nutritional values of these fruits online and accordingly consume them in moderation. Therefore, you need not completely avoid fruits because you are on a low carb diet. You may want to avoid some fruits that are very high in carb content, but there are alternatives that you can consume. As with any diet, planning is the key to ‘fruition’.