I’d written this mid-October, but didn’t post because too many of my articles around the time were on a similar subject 🙂
So, I have a cold. But it’s so well under control, I’m able to work almost normally. I wanted to share what I’m doing to keep it under control and maybe it’ll help you workaholics continue to function. Note: If you have a fever, TAKE REST – none of this will work for you.
Keep the respiratory tract warm
The common cold is an upper respiratory tract (URT) infection, and the cold virus dies quicker if kept warm.
- Use a scarf to ensure the hollow of the throat and the area around it are kept warm.
- Wear a jacket if the weather is cool and roll the collar up if needed.
Keep food consumption continuous
- Keep the food ‘flowing’.
- Remember to chew extra because it’s the increased activity in the mouth/throat/upper respiratory tract region that helps reduce the cold impact.
- I’d suggest carrying around plain toasted (oil-free, salt-free) peanuts / hazelnuts / cashews
- If you have a nut allergy, gluten-free crackers/soup sticks work fairly well too.
Green teas, herbal teas – they have stimulants and antioxidants which help both bolster immunity and keep the throat warm. So you’re not just killing the virus faster (warmth) you’re also helping your body fight it better.
- Green tea, Oolong tea, etc
- Other herbal teas
Plus it’ll keep your throat moist and which means the hoarseness from cough/sneezing will be less.
Ginger, Lemon and Honey
- A spoon of Honey with a small amount of grated ginger and few drops of lemon. Mix well and park it in your mouth, preferably below the tongue. Once a day – it lasts about 5-10 mins. (Take a break and avoid speaking for those 5-10 mins, it’s doesn’t harm)
- Honey-ginger-lemon in your tea helps increase the effectiveness of the tea
Meditation helps the body catch up on lost rest, re-energize and re-vitalize, but takes only 15-20 minutes of your real work time. Ditch the smoke break and coffee breaks and take a meditation break instead.
- Set an alarm so you don’t doze off
- Wash your face with warm running water, or heat up water in a glass and use a handkerchief to wipe off your face – it feels a lot better
Now with winter coming up, I’m sure there’s a lot of people suffering from needless seasonal allergies and colds and whatnot. Do these things and I’m sure you’ll be really fine!
Live long and prosper.