Some will tell you that yogasana – unlike Raja yoga – is too slow… But actually, it is an intense and holistic exercise. This ancient form of fitness has its roots in India. Yoga focuses on developing balance, strength and flexibility. Don’t let anyone misguide you, as these are all benefits of practicing yoga and not prerequisites. You’re not expected to master the poses on the first day, of course. Yoga is all about pushing past your body’s limits over time!
Due to the way it works, yoga functions more on the ‘mind’ than on the body level. The bloodflow enhancing aspects of a Yogasana make it highly valuable for improved brain function. There’s also an aspect of will power that yoga builds like no other.
Be warned though:
- If you have a history of a chronic disease or are recovering from an injury, consult your doctor before you start. Inform your yoga teacher know of any injuries or pains.
- Do what you easily can. There is no competition. Take your time and move at your own pace. Listen to your body and do not push yourself.
- Many benefits of the yoga practice will unfold in time. Practice regularly – with regular intervals – don’t give up if you can’t touch your toes the first time.
- Don’t get discouraged by the initial lack of flexibility or strength. It improves over time. Be patient and give your body the time to respond.
- Focus on the breath, right from the beginning.
- Everyone’s body is unique. Each person has different levels of strength, stamina, and flexibility.
- Your lifestyle and goals may also vary. Find a style of yoga that suits your needs.
Your yoga practice can do much more than lend muscle power and reduce stress. University of Illinois conducted a study – which indicates that short 20-minute sessions of yoga can help your brain work better, and keep your mind focused.
Practice yogasana on a regular basis for a full body-and-mind workout! Be aware that this does not dispense with other good wellness practices – diet regulation, cardio, weight training, brain training and soul cleansing meditation are all equally essential!
Begin your Yoga journey
Our shop has an excellent collection of Yoga programmes available for your convenience. Most are ready to use and very easy to follow. You can perform exercises at home, in complete privacy – if you wish. Optionally find yoga classes online.